Thursday 12 July 2012

Best thing about living in residence? The friends you make!



Juhi and I in 1st year!


Everyone is always saying that you make your TRUE lasting friends in College / University; I can say now, from first hand experience that what they say is true. 
Four years ago I came to York, fresh outta High school as an International Student I knew 0 people. I moved into residence and almost immediately after my parents left me there…all alone…I regretted coming to such a huge school in a different country so far away from home.

After my first residence floor meeting I thought WOW I’m never gonna make it here. I was ready to go back to my room and pack my stuff and GO BACK HOME! Then I heard a knock on my door and my whole university experience CHANGED! I made my first friend!!
 This girl was at my door, asking me about the internet, of all things. I helped her set up the internet, then we went for dinner together and everyday after that. Suddenly we realized we had a lot in common and so we became fast friends. 

As you move from year to year the people you were close with in first year are usually NOT still your friends by fourth year, but she and I were practically family at the end. Four years is a long time to be friends with a person, we laughed, cried and helped each other make it through the challenge that is University.
 She was an International Student just like me, she was from Dubai and I from The Bahamas. Leave it to us to make friends with people who live on opposite sides of the world!
4 yrs later still together!
As I sit here writing this I can’t help but to think of all the things we shared over four years, our first winter with SNOW, our first time on a subway, and of course let’s not forget our first time living away from home on our own. She was really a true friend, we were there for each other whenever we needed anything no questions asked! We took care of each other when we were sick, homesick or lovesick. I honestly don’t know how I would have made it through this journey without her.
And now that she’s moved back home I wish her nothing but the best! I hope she is finds happiness, she is an amazing person and truly deserves the very best that life has to offer. I miss her like crazy! All I can say is THANK GOD for BBM and SKYPE!

There is a STRONG possibility that I might never see her again; but she’ll always be with me, because she helped shape the person I am today. I miss her so much, she was my sister, my mom and most importantly my FRIEND!


The moral of my story...living in residence can be such an amazing experience if you open yourself and take the opportunity that is there!

1 comments:

Ghayoor Shaikh said...

You are having very graceful personality. It seems to have the best place to make friends online

Post a Comment

 
;