Friday 20 July 2012

Health Ed helped my find my place at York!

When I first came to York I was really overwhelmed by the size of the campus and the number of people. In my first year I didn't really get involved too much with clubs or organizations outside of residence. It was all a little too much for me!

I did however, get really involved with what was happening in my res building, especially with what was happening on my floor. In second year I was actively looking for ways to become more involved with campus life (back in those days we didn't have YU Connect so finding clubs was a little more challenging!)

After searching high and low I discovered Health Education and Promotion. Although I wasn't able to join immediately (since they only hire once a year) I did attend a lot of their signature events, as well all the programs they hosted in my res. By the end of my second year I KNEW that this organization was for me...I just had to convince the folks in charge to hire me.

After a nerve-racking interview process I was lucky enough to be offered a volunteer position within the organization. I still remember the phone call I had with the wonderful Ms. Leah State!! I was so happy and shocked and excited to be invited to join the team, I remember being speechless and Leah saying "Are you there? Hello? Do you accept?" I was thinking, screaming YESS but I couldn't make my mouth work LOL.

I wasn't sure what to expect but from day 1 it was AMAZING! I found my home away from home, my family if you will! Honestly I didn't expect the people to be so nice, friendly, welcoming and warm.

The sense of family and community within the Heath Ed organization was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before! When I talked through campus before joining Health Ed I kept my head down and didn't attempt to talk or to make eye contact with anyone. After becoming part of the team, I couldn't walk through Vari Hall or Central Square without seeing people that I knew! It completely changed everything for me, in such a positive life-affirming way.

I've been a part of this organization for four years now and honestly I don't know how I'm going to manage when I finally graduate and I have to leave! I've met so many amazing people and learned so much I don't know what I'm going to do when it ends. Luckily I don't have to worry about that till the end of the year!

It's not the first time that I've mentioned HealthEd and I PROMISE it won't be the last!! It's become such a major part of life since it helped me grow and develop as a person and it helped me to meet people and make friends.

If you want to enrich your university career I highly encourage you to join a club or organization. Trust me you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!!

Check out a video us in ACTION!!


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Nicole-you are awesome!

Post a Comment

 
;