Wednesday 3 July 2013

First Day of University Check List

When you're in primary, middle and high school you are given a list of all the things that you'll need to
bring with you on the first day. However when University rolls around, you are suddenly (or not so suddenly in the case of some folks) an adult and you're expected to simply KNOW what you need for the first day of school.

If you're anything like me, then you probably are sitting at home right now thinking, "What the heck should I bring with me? What should I wear? What will I NEED? Will I need school supplies? Will a need to have a laptop, will I be the ONLY one without a laptop? WHO CAN I ASK?!?!"

First of all let me say, calm down, take a deep breath, you'll be fine. Here's a short list of some of things you might want to bring with you on your first day of school. This is be no means a REQUIRED list of things to have, neither is this an EXHAUSTIVE list of what you'll need. Feel free to take my list and add to it as you see fit.

Clothing
--York's Keele campus is huge, it houses over 90 different buildings and sits on hundreds of acres of land. With that mind you might want to dress comfortably. Comfortable shoes are a must, at least for day one since you don't really know how much walking you'll be doing, especially if you don't know
exactly where your classes are.  Similarly the temperatures in different buildings varies and so you might want to bring a light jacket, just so you don't freeze. Overall I'd recommend comfy clothing so that you can move freely and quickly from one class to the other.

School Supplies
--Unlike high school you probably won't need a backpack full of school supplies, you might not need scotch tape, or glue; you might not need a stapler or hole puncher with you either. You probably will need pens, pencils, highlighters, white out and erasers. Some people think that in university EVERYONE will have a laptop, or that you HAVE to
have a laptop in order to do well. Let me step in here and just say that everyone needing or having a laptop in class is a MYTH. For the majority of my classes I myself used a notebook, and hand wrote my notes. You can absolutely do well in university without a laptop. I would recommend attending the first class without a laptop since the first lecture probably won't be too content heavy and laptops are heavy and difficult to transport.


Food/Drink
--It's really important to remember that you'll be on campus for at least 3 hours, and during that time you might get a little hungry. For those of you that have planned to have multiple classes on the same day, you might want to seriously consider bringing some snacks or a packed lunch and a water bottle with
you.

**Insider Tip: Lines at restaurants on campus during the first weeks of classes are going to be very long so bringing food is always a good idea just in case you don't have time to wait in line between classes!**

Electronics
--You might want to bring your cell phone, iPod/ MP3, iPad/ Tablet or Laptop with you to keep you entertained throughout day while you're moving between classes. Be sure to bring your chargers with you to school so that you can charge them between classes at the Vari Hall charging stations between
classes.

I hope that you found my list helpful, and that you can make some use of it, if there's anything you want to discuss about what I've written here, please feel free to comment below!

Until next time, remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abhishek Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ankesh Tiwari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Occupational Therapy Reflections said...

Thank you!

Post a Comment

 
;