Wednesday 21 August 2013

Pro Tips for Adjusting to University Life!

So you just graduated from High School, you had a summer to get yourself ready for starting university in the fall. You've had your enrollment appointment, enrolled in classes, visited the RED Zone, bought your Frosh Kit and you're feeling pretty set on the IDEA of starting here at York. Then you realize...hey the summer is PRACTICALLY OVER and "Going to University in the Fall" is actually LESS THAN a month away! You might be feeling a little less self-assured, heck you might be FREAKING OUT! I know that when I was starting at University I played it cool for most of the summer, but by the time August rolled around I was not handling it well at all.

When classes started I had a really difficult time adjusting just because it was NOT what I was expecting!! I don't know I was expecting? Maybe I was expecting everyone to be really mean or condescending, or for the work to be way to difficult for me to handle. What I found was the my first month of University was pretty light, I had more free time than I expected and so I settled into BAD HABITS! I started slacking since I didn't have "homework" that was due everyday I put off doing my readings and preparing for my lectures. I WOULD NOT ADVISE THAT ANYONE DO THIS! When midterms rolled around I got a RUDE AWAKENING!! Since I hadn't kept up with the readings all of a sudden instead of reviewing my chapters I had to read like 10 chapters for the first time and try to learn it all in a couple of days. You can imagine what happened I'm sure, I did not do as well as I could have if I had just been a bit more organized right away.

So to help you learn from my first year mistakes I've compiled a short list of the things I think you might want to do to help you adjust to your first year here at York!

Pro Tip 1: Go to Class!
-It can be really easy to skip classes since no one is really taking attendance, but this would be a mistake. You're paying so much for these classes and the reason your at University is to learn so make the effort to go to class. Sometimes professors will give hints as to what will be on exams while in lecture so get a leg up by attending every class!! 
Go to Class & Do your reading!

Pro Tip 2: Stay on top of your Readings and Assignments
-Since no one is keeping track of what readings you're doing and which one's you're not it can be really easy to slack off and not do them at all. If you don't keep up with them week by week, when midterm season rolls around you'll find that you have A LOT to read. This can be REALLY overwhelming and it might make you super stressed out! I can tell you that it might not be fun to give up some of your weekend to do readings, but it'll make all the difference when it comes time for your midterms! So get organized and stay on top of it all!
Breaks are IMPORTANT!
Pro Tip 3: Always find time a break
-I don't want to leave you thinking that all you'll be doing here is working, working, working. I promise you'll have time for breaks and I'd encourage you to try to find as many opportunities as you can to take breaks. Break time is important for your mental health since it allows you to rest and give you brain a break. Be sure to plan your time in such a way that you'll be able to take as many breaks as possible!

If you need help ASK!

Pro Tip 4: If you're feeling overwhelmed REACH OUT
- It can be easy to feel overwhelmed when you start doing new things, in a new place with people that you don't know. School is demanding, challenging and can be a little much at times for everyone! BUTTTT no one can help you if you don't let them know you need help! If you find yourself struggling be sure to ask for help, there's no shortage of people here that can and WANT to help you out! So just ask!
Help yourself by USING THE SERVICES!
Pro Tip 5:  Use the FREE services on campus
- There are so many services on campus that you can use FOR FREE that will make your university experience a little easier and more bearable. For more detailed information about the FREE SERVICES here at York check here!

Hope my PRO-TIPS helped you out and maybe eased your stress levels about starting at York in the Fall!!

As always remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

1 comments:

Blogger said...

This is how my colleague Wesley Virgin's tale begins with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL video.

Wesley was in the military-and shortly after leaving-he revealed hidden, "MIND CONTROL" secrets that the CIA and others used to get everything they want.

These are the same secrets many celebrities (especially those who "come out of nothing") and elite business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You probably know that you utilize only 10% of your brain.

That's really because most of your brain's power is UNTAPPED.

Perhaps this expression has even taken place INSIDE OF YOUR very own mind... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's mind around 7 years ago, while driving an unregistered, garbage bucket of a car without a license and with $3.20 in his bank account.

"I'm absolutely frustrated with living check to check! When will I finally make it?"

You've been a part of those those types of conversations, isn't it so?

Your very own success story is waiting to start. You need to start believing in YOURSELF.

Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast

Post a Comment

 
;