Wednesday 13 February 2013

$5 Breakfast? You CAN have it at York!

So last week I announced that February would be my month of "Cheap Eats" on campus. And after I posted the blog the response I got on my twitter (if you're not following me you totes should *shameless self-promotion*) was INCREDIBLE!!

I'm happy to say that I am not alone...that is, I'm not the only one walking around Keele Campus trying to find a bite to eat that won't burst my budget!

So to everyone that tweeted me or came to visit me in the RED Zone booth with suggestions, comments and advice THANKS SO MUCH!! I hope that you have as much fun reading my "results" as I had finding them.

DISCLAIMER: I went to as many places as I could within the week, so if there are some places that you suggested that you don't see on the list, I didn't disregard your suggestions, I have stored them and will for sure try to visit them in the coming meal challenges. I tried my best to stay within the $5 budget. It was a little difficult and in some places I went over but you'll see what I mean below!

I had so much fun researching this blog and I really hope that you enjoy it!!

Sooo.... "Let's Talk" about where can you go on York's Keele Campus to get BREAKFAST for $5???

Option1: Cafeteria's
Central Square
Cafeteria
Big Breakfast
--There are several options at the York Cafeteria's that offer students breakfasts for around $5.  Here are your Options:
---Bagel with Butter and a Small Coffee and 2 Hashbrowns = $4.96
---Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich =$4.16
---Big Breakfast: 2 Eggs, 2 Hashbrowns and Bacon or Sausage = $5.20

How did we do on the RULES? Well as you can see only one of the options comes with a drink included, so the cafeteria's lose points on that count. Also when it comes to value for money the cafeteria won't be winning any major points for that either.





Option 2: Treat's Coffee Emporium
--This option is one of the HEALTHIER options on campus as well as one of the cheaper options!!
Options include:
Treat's Breakfast
Egg and Sausage
with Coffee
---Breakfast Bagel Sandwich: Egg, Cheese, Bacon or Sausage and a Medium Tea or Coffee = $5
---Breakfast Bagel Sandwiche: Egg, Cheese and Veggies with a Medium Tea or Coffee =$5

You might be thinking...how is this a healthier option? Well if you get the whole wheat bagel, with all the veggies you have gotten a serving of protein, dairy, grains and veggies. So you're hitting all your major food groups in this meal.

How did we do on the RULES? Both meals come with a drink, so points for that, both meals come in right ON BUDGET and this meal is sustaining so you get more value for money.

Option 3: Tastes
--This option is the BIGGEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!! YAY!!!
Breakfast Option1
With Tea
Options Include:
---Breakfast Option1: 2 Eggs, 2 pieces of Toast, Sausage or Bacon and a Small Tea or Coffee =$3.95
---Breakfast Omelete: 2 Eggs, w/cheese or veggies, 2 pieces of toast & a Small Tea or Coffee = $3.95

Judging based on the Rules? Tastes comes in WELL UNDER BUDGET! That's saving money for your next meal. Tastes has MANY inexpensive breakfast options that come with a drink included. They are all around the $3.50 - $4.50 mark (before taxes). I am happy to say that the quality of the food is VERY high and the value for money at Tastes can't be beat!

Unofficial Option 4: La Prep
--I attempted to visit La Prep as one of my healthier options however the cost of breakfast there broke the bank and the value for money was NOT high enough for my to include it as an official list of breakfast options.
Options include:
Parfait and Tea
---Breakfast English Muffin: Egg, Tomato and Cheese on English Muffin and a Tea = $6.16
---Breakfast Parfait: Granola, Fresh Fruit and Vanilla Yoghurt  and a Tea = $6.16

According to the Rules La Prep comes in way over budget, the food is not sustaining, that means that you'll be looking for your next meal in no time. Also value for money with their meals isn't very high if you're looking for a meal for $5. They have GREAT food if you don't mind spending $7-9 on breakfast.

Well those are the food options that I put forward for you to try next time you're on campus early looking for a cheap breakfast. I hope that you enjoy the options. Feel free to leave your comments below. If I left something out and you really want to share it with our fellow Yorkies feel free to comment!

Be on the look out for my SNACKS blog next week!

Remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

1 comments:

YorkUPride said...

Thank you, I am way too lazy to do this research, and appreciate your endorsements. Would be keen to see a review of the Great Cdn Bagel. You should totally 4square this stuff, maybe even an "YorkU Eats Under $5" list or something.
PS, never done La Prep for breakfast, but totally dig their lunch selection.

Post a Comment

 
;