Wednesday 27 February 2013

$5 in your pocket...looking for a quick Snack?


In case you haven't noticed, February is my month of $5.00 meals. I have taken on the challenge to find meals on York's Keele Campus that are within $5 including a tax, the meal must also include a drink. Last week I covered Breakfasts and this week I'm tackling SNACKS!

Have you ever found yourself Running around campus, RAVENOUS? Looking for a quick snack that you can grab between classes?? Well I've got you covered!

Sooo....Let's Talk about where you can go to get a $5 snack on York's Keele Campus!!

Option 1: Central Square Cafeteria
Small Coffee and
Butter Croissant
--There are many snack options at the Cafeteria however trying to find an option that fits into my strict $5.00 budget that also includes a drink is not an easy task to accomplish. So remembering the rules, I came up with the following option:

---Small Coffee and Butter Croissant = $4.05
I am sad to say that the fact that the rules required a drink to be included in the budget kept sending my snack costs over $5. However this option did come with a drink and it came in under budget so this option fulfills the requirements of the rules. However when it comes to value for money this option suffers. I guess since this is a snack and not a full meal this option is alright, but I'll leave that judgement up to you.



Option 2: Falafel Hut
--Falfel Hut HAS LOTS OF OPTIONS for each meal option! Several people recommended their breakfast to me, and since I was unable to make it there for breakfast I decided to include it in my snack list. So here are your options for SNACKS:

Falafel In a Pita
and Can of Pop
---Falfel in a Pita with a Can of Pop = $4.50
***This is the SPECIAL on TUESDAY'S = $3.91.
--- Top Ten Value Menu with a Can of POP = $4.51
This menu includes: Middle East Potatoes, Rice in Pita, T.L.C in Pits, Cheese in Pita, B.L.T. in a Pita, Hummus in Pita, Tzatziri in Pita and Tuna in Pita. That's 8 different option!! Talk about Choice!!

When it comes to the rules, Falafel Hut gets a lot of points since all the options mention include food and a drink Also when it comes to value for money Falafel Hut does very well again since you actually get a fair amount of food for the price. Additionally it comes in UNDER budget. Also hidden benefit their service is very quick!!


Option 3: Berries and Blooms
--I am using Berries an Blooms as my HEALTHY OPTION for this round of the challenge. Berries and Bloom has a VERY interesting pricing structure when it comes to their menu options, so with that in mind here are your options:

Fresh Fruit
Smoothie
---Fresh Fruit Salad: You can pick and choose from a selection of fresh fruits = $??
---Salad Bar: You can make, mix and match different ingredients and prepared salads: $??
---Fresh Fruit Smoothie (with up to 3 fruits): $3.66
**Since Berries and Blooms sells the first two items by weight the price of your snack will vary from $1.00-8.00 depending on how much or how little you pick up.

So how did we do on the rules? Well if your fruit / salad bar options come in under $5 then you can get a beverage with your fruit or salad. However if your total comes to around the $5 mark then you won't be able to afford it so be sure to keep that in mind. Also if you're not really that hungry but you want a quick snack then the smoothie is a GREAT option. However since it is not actual food you might be hungry again quickly? Technically it does meet the requirement of the rules so be sure to check it out!

UNOFFICIAL Option 4: Cigar Shoppe:
--Since you cannot use your meal plan money at this location I decided to class it as an unofficial option. However it must be mentioned that this option has the GREATEST VALUE FOR MONEY!! They have MANY different "combo" options here and they are all within the $5 budget. So here are your options:
Can of Pop, Chips,
2 Granola Bars &
2 Fruit Snacks

---Can of pop and Bag of Chip: $1.75
---Various snacks (Granola Bars, Chocolate Bars, Fruit Snacks, Cookies and Protein bars) = $1.45-3.75
---Various Beverages (Pop, Water, Energy Drinks, Coffee drinks and Gatorade)= $1.00-3.75
---BIGGEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK: Bag of Chips, Can of Pop, 2 granola bars, 2 fruit to go snacks $4.50

Honestly this location has the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY when it comes to snacks. It has the cheapest beverages, cheapest snack foods and super friendly staff members. When I was in my first year an upper year who lived on my floor in res recommended that I check it out since it had some "student priced items" I went their in my first year and now 6 years later I tell EVERYONE I know to check them out!

If you have NO IDEA where it is let me give you some directions: If you're walking from The Student Center toward York Lanes... it's the small connivence looking shop right next to the Student Centre, before you get to York Lanes. If you're on the fence about checking them out take it from me you won't be disappointed!

Well those are the snack options that I put forward for you to try. Feel free to ADD any additional snack options that you have come across that fit within our $5.00 budget. I'd love to hear what other places on campus that you folks like to eat at. So please add any options by commenting below!

Be on the LOOK OUT for my LUNCH Blog coming NEXT Week!!

Remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

1 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;