Wednesday 6 March 2013

Looking for Lunch for $5? Yep it's possible!!


This semester seems to be flying by!! February has come and gone...but that doesn't mean that my $5.00 quest is finished. This week I'm profiling LUNCHES on campus!


So just to remind you I have the following rules regarding what counts as options here at Keele.
Here are the rules:
1. Meals MUST be as close to $5.00 as possible INCLUDING TAXES
2. Each Meal should include a drink
3. I'll have to give you at least 3 options per meal
4. I have to provide you with at least 1 healthy option
5. I must let you know where you can get each option on campus.

Now that you've been reminded of the rules... Let's Talk about $5.00 Lunches on Campus.

Option 1: Central Square Cafeteria Freshii
Asian Chop Salad
$5.65
-- Unfortunately there aren't really any options at the Cafeteria that fit within my budget, so in trying to give Aramark a chance to offer suggestions I tweeted them and they suggested that I try Freshii, one of the food services locations they operate. Freshii is located in the lobby of the Lassonde Building, in case you've never seen it. Here are your options at Freshii

---Buffalo Chicken Wrap = $5.65
---Warrior Chicken Bowl = $5.65
---Asian Chop Salad = $5.65

How did we do on the rules?? Well all of the Freshii options are a little over the budget and they don't come with a drink HOWEVERRRR it is worth noting that the value for money (at least in the case of the Asian Chop Salad the meal in the picture), is VERY HIGH! This was a HUGE salad, and it was very substantial therefore worth the money. This could also be considered as one of your healthier options.

Option 2: York Lanes / Tastes
Tastes Sandwich Combo
With Pop
--Before I give you this option I think it is worth mentioning my blog last week on snacks. The reason I bring this up is because I think that Berries and Blooms and Falfael Hut are GREAT options for lunch! Click here so see last weeks post.

--- Tastes has a GREAT Lunch system in place. They have different sandwich specials for each day of the week that range in price from $3.44-3.60 with this sandwich you can add a side soup, salad or pop for $1.00 extra. That being said the meal in the image came to $4.90.

What do the rules say? Well you can get a filling sandwich and a drink or if you're not that thirsty you can sub the pop for additional food. Also you come in UNDER BUDGET with this option so that saves you money. Also the value for money with this option is high.

Option 3 AUDIENCE SUGGESTION: The Islands
--This option was suggested by a reader. The Islands in The Student Centre has a lunch special that has become fairly popular lately.

Barbecue Chicken
White Rice and Coleslaw
---Daily Lunch Special: Jerk or Barbecue Chicken, Rice, and Coleslaw or Salad = $5.50
--- Potato Roti: = $5.50
--- Sides = $? It all depends on what you decide to purchase so it could be more or less than $5.00 dollars.

This option does come in under budget and the value for money is good since you get a fair amount of food for the price. The only flaw with this option is that it does not come with a drink, so although it is under budget, if that Jerk has you dying of thirst you'll have to find some extra cash for a drink!

Every week I award one of the options as having the "Biggest Bang for your Buck" or the greatest value for money. This week it was tough...but I'm going to have to give that title to Freshii this week. I can't get over how much food you can get from Freshii at around the $5.00 mark.

So what are you having?
Well those are my options for a reasonably priced lunch on campus. If you want to suggest some other places please feel free to comment below I know I'd LOVE to try some other places on campus!

Be sure to check back next week for my profile about $5.00 Dinners on campus. I think that this might be the BIGGEST challenge for me yet!

LEGGO!!!

Remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;