Wednesday 20 March 2013

$5.00...I mean CHEAP Dinners on Campus!

Here Late?
You gotta eat why not eat CHEAP?
In sticking with my $5.00 challenge last week I was supposed to cover dinners on campus. However in the course of the week I was super busy with assignments and other work and I wound up locked in my room eating copious amounts of multigrain cheerios and chugging coffee. I would not recommend this meal plan to anyone so please do not follow my example of poor eating!!

I take a lot of pride in this blog and so I didn't want to rush to write a blog just for the sake of writing a blog. So I hope that you can find a way to forgive me for not posting last week.

So Let's Talk about $5.00 Cheap Dinners on Campus:

DISCLAIMER: Finding $5.00 dinners on Keele campus was VERY difficult and I wasn't able to find a meal that stayed within my strict budget. Don't get me wrong you can for sure find food that is around 5 bucks and call it dinner, but is it really a dinner? Let's not get too existential with this discussion. In the effort to stick to the spirit of the challenge I decided to try my very best to keep my budget between $5-$8.00. So with this small caveat lets check out the options!!

Option 1: Jimmy The Greek
--Initially I  wasn't going to include this as an option since it is over budget a little bit, but since I opened up my budget it fits in nicely.
Veggie Plate
With SPICY Sauce

--- Vegetable Dinner Plate: $6.25
--- Gyro Pita: $6.25
--- Chicken Souvlaki Pita: $6.25

How did we do with regard to the rules?

Well we're well within our new budget of $5-$8.00. The dinner plate is quite large and so the value for money here is quite high. While there is no drink included with these options they do leave room in the budget for you to make a short walk to the Cigar Shop to pick up a pop or water for $1.00. It's a good option if you want to pick up something quick on your way to a night class or on your way back to residence or even to have something to eat on the bus.

Option2: Indian Flavour
--I wanted to included at least one restaurant from York Lanes, and since I have already profiled both Falafel Hut and Tastes in previous posts I decided to check out a NEW location!

Mixed Veggie Wrap!
--- Mixed Veggie Tandoori Warp: $6.00
--- Butter Chicken Tandoori Wrap: $7.00
--- Beef Boti Kebab Tandoori Wrap: $7.00

What do the rules say?
I had never had one of the wraps from Indian Flavour before and so when they were suggested I was a little dismissive since I didn't know how filling they would be. Let me just say. I WAS WRONG! These wraps are HUGE, they are made with Naan bread and so they are a lot more filling then a regular pita. Also they are STUFFED with filling, whether that be veggies, chicken or beef. Moral of the story you are NOT going to be hungry any time soon. Okay fine, it doesn't come with a drink, but the value for money with this option is very HIGH.

Option 3: Central Square Cafe
Pasta with Chicken!
-- In an effort to find a way to keep the Cafeteria's involved in this challenge, I decided to check out what options they had available now that my budget has increased! I am happy to report that they have a lot of really great options for students on a budget.

--- Pasta Station: $6.76 (Veggie)  or $7.67 (Meat)
--- 4oz Beef Hamburger Combo: $8.68

How well did we stick to the rules?
Trying to find meals at the Cafeteria that stick with the new budget was a little difficult. The pasta option is a very big meal so it'll fill you up meaning that the value for money is good. Also it does come in under budget so that's really good as well. In the case of the hamburger combo, this option comes with fries and a drink so although it is a little over budget you get a lot for your money. You can also get this option without the fries and drink to save yourself some money if you're not that hungry. Also it's a really quick to pick up and walk to class with.

So this brings me to the end of my Cheap Eats Challenge. I have to say it was actually really fun, I got to talk to and engage with a lot of students and staff members while doing the research that went into writing this blog series. As always please feel free to comment below if you have any additional options you want to share.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this series. I hope that you enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it! Check back next week as I promise to have another EXCITED blog up for your enjoyment!!

Remember to take it one day at a time and catch me in the Zone!

Nicole

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;