Wednesday 30 May 2012

So I got into York...NOW WHAT??

When you're a kid everyone always asks "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and as children we most likely said completely unrealistic things like "I want to be a super hero, or a movie star or a doctor."

As children we don't think about the work that goes into becoming a doctor or an actor...or where we will find radioactive waste or gamma radiation (if we really want to be a super hero :P). So as we grow up our goals shift and suddenly our biggest goal is making through high school and into university.
Got any Radioactive waste lying around?

If you're anything like me...you probably thought to yourself..."I just have to make it through high school! Once I'm out of here I'm going to go to university and when I get there everything will make sense and I'll know who I am and what I want to be!"

Well congrats on getting into University! These days that's an amazing accomplishment and you should be really proud of yourself! Equally impressive is the fact that you made it into York!!

Right now you're probably feeling like a duck on a pond...calm on the surface but paddling like crazy to keep from sinking. Don't worry though you're not alone. I felt the same way when I first decided to go to university. I looked at my friends who were also going to university and they seemed totally calm and so I pretended I was calm and ready as well.
Le Duck!


My first day at York I had to give myself a pep talk JUST to get out the door! I thought that everything was just supposed to fall into place? Wasn't it supposed to be like a movie? I walk onto the prestigious collegiate campus and everything was supposed to be figured out! Instant intelligence, instant popularity, instant career plans, right?!? Hollywood left me painfully unprepared for reality.
My University experience was NOT like this...but how cute is that little dog!?!


I found myself asking "So I got into York...NOW WHAT?" You might find yourself asking that question as well. If you are then look no further, consider me your fairy godmother...or your Mr. Miyagi...you know from The Karate Kid...maybe the reference is a little old but it still fits...if you don't know who I'm talking about...Google it!

Anyhoo I'm here with some tips that can make your University experience a little easier and far less stressful than mine was.

Top 5 Tips!!

5: If you need help and you don't know where to go stop by the RED Zone
-We're in Vari Hall everyday from 10-4 come see us we can help!

4.USE THE FREE SERVICES!
-York has tons of services to make the student experience easier. From academic support and tutoring all the way to career advice, use what we have on campus!

3. Go to class
-You're here to learn, that's the whole point of going to University. It might be intimidating at first but all new things can be a little overwhelming at first, stick it out...it gets better!

2.  Explore the campus 
-There are tons of places for students to gather, study, work, chill and meet...outside of the Student Centre or York Lanes. Get out there and check them out.

1. Get involved on campus.
-If you've been reading my blog or any of the other RSA blogs you've probably noticed that "getting involved" is a common theme. There's a reason for that...it's because it's the BEST WAY to get the MOST out of your university experience. I know that it may seem hard at first...since you don't really know where to start but trust me, check out the YU Connect page, it's a great place to begin.

Now that you've read all of that...I hope that you feel up the "Challenge" of starting at York!! Sooo I have ONE question for you guys?!? 

What do you want to be when you grow up? Let me know in the comments section! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;