Friday 29 June 2012

Sustainability...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

It's our world!
Let's protect it!
On Monday of this week the RED Zone underwent a "sustainability" evaluation. We had to discuss our environment practices and what sort of impact we were leaving behind. This got me thinking...WHAT kind of an impact do I leave on the environment and what types of changes can I make to try to reduce my carbon foot print. 

There are 3 major things I took away from the evaluation and training:
1. EVERY ACTION no matter how small it seems has an impact.
2. Reducing your carbon foot print doesn't require me to give up all my earthly possessions and live off the land.
3. Making small changes makes a lasting difference.


After the presentation I got to thinking, What can I do? How can I try to make reduce my carbon foot print and live a more sustainable life?

Here's what I came up with:
-Start using reusable water bottles instead of buying bottled water. This is a BIG change for me since in my home country we only have bottled water, since tap water is not safe to drink.

- Start using a reusable coffee / tea mug. This is not only better for the environment BUT also saves me some money when I buy coffee as well!

My cup actually looks a  LOT like this one!
- Start unplugging electronics when not in use. I didn't know that electronics still draw power when plugged into a socket even if they aren't in use.

I am going to accept the challenge to make my life more sustainable. This week I started using my reusable coffee cup and water bottle. Admittedly the water bottle was a little more challenging, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole drinking from the tap thing. I'm working on it! So if you happen to find your way into the RED Zone, ask me how I'm doing with my sustainability challenge! 


Also if you want to adopt any/ all or additional sustainable practices feel free to let me know in the comments section. Maybe we can help support each other in our journey to lead more environmentally friendly lives!


Want to find out what SUSTAINABILITY looks like at York University? Check this link!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;